Cottage Reno: 5 projects to add value and close out the season
Written by: Lorena Magallanes
Posted on: August 15, 2013
As the season kicks off with heat waves and long days, you’re hopefully indulging in some blissful time away at the cottage. Whether it’s time to pack up once the winter winds roll in, or you have an all-season getaway, there are always projects you can undertake to add value and intrigue to your cottage. Here are 5 ideas for renovations big and small:
- A fresh coat of paint is the easiest way to spruce up your second home. Consider switching up colours in a few rooms if you feel like it could use a change.
- Add shutters to the front windows, colourful cushions, and chairs to make the porch welcoming. Working with the outdoor space is a simple start that doesn’t break the bank.
- Accessorize inside the cottage. Maybe it’s a new throw, or changing up the wall art, or just putting the same potted plants in every room. Little tweaks go a long way.
- Replace stained carpets with fresh wood floors. If visiting in the winter months is part of your cabin’s charm, consider adding heated flooring.
- If you want to go a bit more drastic, knocking down one wall to open up the main room’s concept can make the space feel far more cozy than boxed in.
Generally it’s best to keep quaint and charming in mind for style, and there are plenty of ways you can allow these changes to take form.